Over the last few years on my way to the university, I occasionally took pictures of the Palast der Republik (Palace of the Republic) in its different stages of demolition. The Palast der Republik, once the symbol of socialism of the GDR, has now vanished into history books and the www. As of April 2009, where the building once stood, there is now a vacant lot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_the_Republic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_the_Republic

What a great idea to document the physical change that is so representative of a cultural, political and social change! After reading of its historical importance, I am surprised that German's did not decide to keep the building as a museum or memorial of some sort. I like the idea of rebuilding the palace in an attempt to keep its original integrity, but it surprises me that they could not leave the base standing and rebuild from there. This reminds me of the demolition of the wall itself as something so symbolic may be attempted to be removed, however we can never erase what it represented.
ReplyDeleteThese pictures are so great! I love the one with the water view in the front. I agree with what molly said about the representation of the wall being more then something physical, and how it can't be erased. I didn't know very much about these structures but they seem to showcase the same idea. Your pictures are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting to see the deconstruction of a building like this. Ghosts of Berlin ended with the Palace of the Republic still standing and its fate still being in limbo.
ReplyDeleteOn one hand, it's great that a decision was finally reached, but on the other, I hear conflicting views about the reaction to that decision. Personally, I like the idea of rebuilding a Baroque palace, but it is a little constrictive and unnecessarily showy. Still, an editorial we read quoted somebody making the point that you wouldn't build a modern building in St. Mark's Square in Venice, so it seems more logical to build in the style of the surrounding structures. This same editorial called it a "fake Baroque palace;" but to me, it's not that they are building a fake Baroque palace, so much as matching the existing feel of the island and the city.
Buildings are built in non-modern forms all the time. The UW is mostly Gothic architecture, so does this mean that every building is a "fake" Gothic cathedral? I'd be happy to say yes if "fake" simply means that it was not constructed in the Gothic age of architecture; but fake has deeper and probably more sinister connotations. It connotes a disdain and an unworthiness that other words do not.
I agree that it's a really fascinating debate that involves not only the palace, but much of the cityscape, especially when so many of the buildings themselves have other significance than edifice alone. Do you know what the time line for completion is?
I'm really glad that you had the presence of mind to take pictures along your way to document the changes. I don't think the notion would have occurred to me. And look and what a montage you have! It's really interesting to see them in the posted order because without the dates, I thought the most recent one was the top and so on, respectively. But alas, this is a demolition.
ReplyDeleteI think the December '07 one strikes me the most. The festive illuminated ride in the foreground with the tearing-down process of the Palace. It's quite an interesting statement which I can imagine would be riveting for those happy about the demolition and the melancholy alike.
It will be interesting to see what takes its place...
It's difficult to imagine the feeling you get when you see the process of something disappearing rather than seeing a building one day and not another. This picture supports that sometimes, we easily forget something once its gone - without a constant reminder, we overlook something that may have been important to us in the past. The pictures definitely evoke a surreal emotion as its a tall building and the end product is just an empty lot as if the building never existed.
ReplyDeleteThe change quite substantial... not just the removal of a small landmark, but of an entire monument and symbol. I wonder, how did you feel each time you passed this? When more pieces came down, did you feel emotional pieces coming down as well? It would be interesting to hear the reaction of others who either passed by this on a daily basis or lived by the Palace as to whether or not it drastically impacted their feelings towards the former Republic, socialism, etc. I love the visual timetable... Very powerful.
ReplyDeleteWow... This is great. Why did they have to demolish it? This building has so much great history and its a Palace! I understand the reason to demolish the building was because of its symolic representations but wouldn't it have been great if the buliding could have been used for other purposes. Maybe this would imbue different meaning to the building and add on to the rich history. For example...a crazy community center!! Or one of the best old folks home! where the elderly can spend their retirement in a palace =)
ReplyDeletehow do we relate with the building and structures that surround us? often times we are not aware, lazy and ignorant of their significance, yet even so it seems that they can somehow identify who we are at a certain place and time. with changes that are constantly occurring in Berlin, how do people grasp their own identities and with the affects of globalization, how we define ourselves outside of the products we produce and purchase?
ReplyDeleteManuela, these pictures are very interesting! Many times it is very easy to look past a site that is undergoing construction. We do not really think about process of destruction and reconstruction of a building as a big change. We only focus on the finish results. These pictures really help us see the "change" happening before our eyes. We realized that there is more vast changes that occurs without our notice. All around us our culture, food, entertainment, land are evolving but often times do not think about the huge affects it has on our lives
ReplyDelete